Wednesday, March 18, 2009

When The Lights Go Out

We had a fun day today in the studio... I was setting up for a little mini-fashion shoot when the power went out. Holding the "light" button on my watch showed me I still had about half an hour before the young lady I was shooting was to arrive. After a few seconds, I decided to move a small set outside the studio into the parking lot and shoot her out there.

So of course, I've, like, got a bunch of stands in the lobby waiting for me to carry outside, and was just lowering one of the large softboxes when.. taa-daa- the power came back on. So I thought... well, a photo jedi like me would just go ahead and shoot in the parking lot anyway just to say I did it, but then my brain kicked back in and I re-set up in the studio.

Naturally, about half way through the shoot, the lights went out again while Brittney was changing clothes in the dressing room, so I switched lenses to my 70-200 (a skill I long ago mastered in the dark) and when she came out (I could see her silhouetted against the eerie light of the emergency lights in the hallway) I said... hey: lets go outside (this being the most original thing I could think of to say). We had had a pretty weird sky - high clouds - so I thought I'd grab a light & battery back, but looking out the front door I saw the sun had come back out, so I grabbed a mid-size reflector and we all trooped outside (her, her sister, and her mom).

We took shots in a few locations just outside my building - I made her sister work the reflector for me! - and we saved the day (although I already had some cute shots from the studio shooting we did before the lights went out).

Anyway... it was just one of those mornings where we had to be flexible!

No comments:

Post a Comment